Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Weekly update: baby butts

I don't even know where to start with this post! It's been so busy around here, the days are just flying by. Valentine's Day was busy and fun; we baked a ton of heart shaped items at work and sold them all, and then Josh and I went out with friends that evening and stayed out past our bedtime! I didn't get him anything for Valentine's Day, because, well, I'm lame I guess. It just didn't occur to me that we were doing that. But he got me the Fuji Instax camera that I had wanted for Christmas. It's a fancy new instant camera (like a polaroid) but it's hilarious because the  camera is as big as my face. They make different sizes, and he got me the "wide" one. This isn't even a trick of depth of field, this thing is huge!



So far we've only taken 4 pictures, and they're not very exciting. We can't get the flash to turn off, so I have to spend some time today reading the instructions. We're excited to have fun instant pictures of the Bloob with it.

My to-do list today is looking like this:

1. Make brownies
2. Chew on ice. All day.
3. Go grocery shopping.
4. Drag Josh to Ikea to by a dresser.
5. Finish Mom's Xmas present.
6. Eat brownies.

What's with the pregnant ice chewing anyway? I need to look that up. I woke up at 2 am this morning, so hungry, and not one bit sleepy. So I got up and had peanut butter on saltines and watched tv. Stella was really excited about the prospect of eating peanut butter at 2 am, so she was very attentive while I was eating. Went back to sleep around 5, just as Josh was getting up. I think he's finally getting used to the weird sleep schedule, he didn't get up once to check on me!

The basement now has functioning windows, after a dramatic chainsaw exhaust filled day. I like to think that Josh and I are both pretty smart, but somehow the reason you don't use a chainsaw inside escaped us both. At least it's done, and we can move on to the next phase of the project. 


It was also pouring rain, which didn't really help this project any. You can't tell, but Josh is wearing his fly-fishing waders.


I believe this is just before Josh knocked that piece of concrete out into the giant mud puddle that formed outside the window, and it all splashed back in on him.


And, whew! Now he has to put the window well we dug last summer back together, if it ever stops raining. It's kind of killing me that I can't help.

Instead I've been working away inside. Leela and Spencer had a housewarming party, and I made them some pillows.


Then I made a pillow for the Bloob's room out of some grey flannel I got on the clearance rack for $1. Richard and Stella are entranced by something outside.



I also finally mailed Julie's Xmas present, which included a potholder, a bag, and a pin cushion (which I forgot to take a picture of). The pot holder has turquoise quilting, but you can't tell at all in this photo.



I mailed Ali's too, but I can't post it yet, because Fed-Ex screwed up and didn't deliver the package on time. She'll get it tomorrow I hope.

I got  to ask a few questions yesterday at our midwife appointment that I've been saving up. One was about having someone take pictures for us. We don't want a bunch of during labor pics, but I really want some "first moments" pictures, because I feel like in all of the craziness I won't remember it very well. We don't really want anyone else with us in the room during the birth (besides the midwives), so I've been struggling with what to do, because I want Josh involved, and not having to worry about taking pictures. The midwives said that as long as things are going fine (no complications) they will be able to take some pictures for us, and that we shouldn't worry about having someone else there. Plus, she said, if there are complications and they aren't able to take pictures, it's probably something we wouldn't want pictures of anyway. I feel good about that answer, so I think that is what we decided to do.

I also got to ask about what position the baby is in, and how to tell, and when he/she needs to be getting settled into a head down position. She helped me feel around and described how the butt feels different from the head and how sometimes you can feel the spine too. The Bloob was sideways, and still seems to be switching positions a lot. She said that around 33-36 weeks he/she should be settling into the birthing position. I think I can feel when the head is down, because it's lots of pressure down low, and sitting gets uncomfortable. Plus the kicks are higher up!
Last night we had fun lying in bed and feeling around, trying to sort out the head from the butt. I love to think about a little baby butt in there. I know I'm getting hormonally sappy, but I get teary thinking about getting to pat that little butt when it comes out! Josh said yesterday he's probably going to cry at the birth, so I know I'm not the only one.

Also, I'm just going to admit this and get it off my chest, but all I want to do now is sit around all day. Crosswords, tv, internet, naps. Just standing up and making food for myself makes me tired. I'm getting over my "need to stay busy" guilt, and now part of me is wishing I had a Mom, or sister, nearby to come over and do stuff for me. Only 2 months to go...






3 comments:

  1. Good post Lisa! I love that grey flannel pillow for the booob's room. :) I think the idea about letting one of the midwives snap some pictures sounds good..just make sure the camera is in an obvious place well ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you're right....without pics, you won't remember much. my pics are so special to me and i can't begin to tell you the emotions that come flooding back when i look at them. priceless! make sure they snap some, regardless of what is going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i feel glad that they don't mind taking pictures. Julie, you typed Booob. haha!

    ReplyDelete