Thursday, October 28, 2010

Busy day, winter projects

It's been raining and windy and raining and sunny then raining here the last week, which has made me want to never leave the house. Luckily that's okay, and I've been getting lots of projects done, and squeezing in lots of rest time in between. I'm only working 3 or 4 days a week at the bakery these days, which is awesome, but also really taking some adjustment. I know it's supposed to be the American Dream to own a business and have other people run it, but I LIKE working, and really enjoy my days at the bakery. I feel like it is smart, and important, for me to get used to not being there as much now, so when the baby is born I'm not stressed about being away from work. So I'm kind of just being a housewife most of the week, and it's not so bad!
Today I finally got up the nerve to drive Josh's truck. I wasn't really scared, I've driven plenty of big trucks before. I loved renting Penske trucks when I'd have to move bakery equipment around and they had those seats that sit up above the heads of cars and bounce all around as you drive, and I would just grin uncontrollably the whole time. For some reason it just seemed scarier when it was Josh's truck, and not some anonymous company. It really wasn't bad at all, and I took myself to Target and Fabric Depot. At the fabric store I discovered something called a Jelly Roll - a roll of 2 1/2 inch fabric strips that all match. Maybe this wasn't around when I was strip quilting all the time, but it was like angels were singing when I saw them today. I bought one with fabrics that are so awesome I want to eat them.


I found a pattern online for a quilted pillow and just adapted it for a lap size quilt. I made really good progress on it today, since I didn't have to take 10 hours to pick out fabrics and cut one million strips! SERIOUSLY! Best thing ever. It cuts out everything I didn't like about quilting. Here's what I got done so far.


After I did that much, I paused to make some curtains for the living room. I used some fabric I already had and two spring rods that I bought from Target today. They cover the windows in the living room that face our neighbor's house. Now I can walk to the bathroom in my underwear without running past the spot where that window is! I don't have a picture of them yet, I'll work on that tomorrow.

I was still feeling full of energy, so I ate dinner with Josh and he worked on a painting while I took on a different project - a hooded baby bath towel. I saw the pattern on Prudent Baby, and it is super easy, so I figured I could just crank it out. I used some towels I picked up at Target for $2.99 for 2, and I have to admit, I wish I had gotten a nicer towel. I figured since I hadn't done much sewing in awhile I might be rusty, and I didn't want to waste a good towel. That was a mistake because it came out cute, but the towel is so thin that it looks, well, cheap. I used a piece of a fat quarter I got today too for the accent fabric. Taking a picture of it was difficult.


Can you see the cheapness? I asked Stella to wear it, and oddly enough, she seemed to really like it.


I just decided that maybe it looks a little like a KKK hood, which is creepy. I think that's enough projects for today. And now that we're at 13 weeks, here's a picture! I think I always look bigger at the end of the day, after I've eaten or something. I swear that has to be mostly water and air.

5 comments:

  1. Stella was so funny! Lisa, You are getting bigger! I can't wait to see you in person. 2 weeks from today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa! I love that kitchen! So cute.

    And now here are my comments in easy to read bullet-form:

    - I agree, it looks like a KKK hood. Maybe a towel in a color other than white would do the trick?
    - Don't you wish you could have the job of the person who gets to decide which fabrics go together in those little packs?
    - Stella was probably thinking, "Damn, it's about time! I've been freezing in this house and they FINALLY give me a blanket! Does it make me look racist?"
    - is your sweater in the picture a new one?
    - Your belly is cute! i can't wait to touch it!
    - I'm glad you're getting some rest, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm excited to see you guys too! the kitchen is cute jules, you need to come visit! and no, i don't want to choose the fabrics, i actually hate that part. i like it that someone else does it.
    yes, the sweater is one of the new ones. i love them! they're so cozy, i want more. the awesome thing is, that green one isn't too maternity-ish, it's just long, so i think i can wear it still after-baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you will be happy to pack it up after baby. i swear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. and i can't wait to see the curtains!

    ReplyDelete