Saturday, November 6, 2010

Domestically productive day!

Except for an hour this morning, when I had a wedding tasting, Josh and I got to spend the whole day together at home. While I was at work he went and picked up a load of mulch and finished the front yard so its ready for winter. When I got home we prepped the front room (previously called "the art room", now called "the nursery") for painting by moving all of Josh's art stuff out. Then he got to work on stripping the paint off of the dresser that I bought all those weeks ago (YES! finally!). He just walked by and told me to make sure to tell all of you that he says Hi! and to remember to mention that when he was working on the yard, he cut all of the last dahlia blooms off the plant and left them on the porch for me when I got home. That plant ended up getting so huge and had the most beautiful pink blooms! It was sweet.
Anyway, while he stripped the dresser, I painted the room with a coat of primer. I realized Josh has a boom box with a tape player, so I dug out all my old mix tapes from the 90's and had such a great time listening to them! I was glad I was painting alone, because I sang along the whole time, until my throat was feeling kind of sore. We took a break for awhile to make a run to home depot, and let the primer dry, and now I'm ready to put on the first coat of paint! We got a creamy ivory color, called Custard.

I started picking out some things that we'd like to go in the room, and since they aren't all from one place I'm just putting links here. We've looked at cribs, and feel like a lot of them are just too expensive, so we're going with Ikea for the one we want. This one becomes a toddler bed too, which is great. I can't figure out the mattress situation - they have quite a few choices, and it doesn't seem like an infant needs to have a pillow top luxury mattress, but what do I know. I'll just link to the general mattress section HERE, and maybe someone can tell me what to choose.


I've also been searching for a rug for the room, since the floors are wood, and I really like this plain brown one from Ikea too. Since the walls will be Custard, the curtains I bought are Cranberry, It seems appropriate to have a rug that is Chocolate brown. Sounds like we're making some kind of delicious dessert. Plus, the size we need is only $149 and for a rug that seems like a sweet deal. Ikea really is pretty great for some things, except for kitchen utensils, which they are no good at.
Rug 

We decided awhile ago that we wanted a co-sleeper for the first few months, before we start trying to use the crib. I thought we had picked out the one we liked until we found this!!


Some teeny tiny mom & pop company makes these, and the design is super simple! It has wood arms that slide under your mattress for support, and adjustable legs to fit the height of your bed. They're kind of pricey though, so Josh is just going to make one. The company that makes it also shows you how to turn it into a toddler bench when you're through with it. We're scared to have the baby sleep in the bed with us, because we both toss and turn in our sleep so much, so this seems like a great option. Plus, look how smiley that baby is!

The other day we briefly hung out with Leela and Spencer, while Leela's sister and her 5 month old daughter were visiting. We both got to hold the baby, and she was just super sweet and adorable. It was so nice to be around a baby, and I loved seeing how natural Josh was with her. His hands were half the size of her little body! I think we both feel anxious to have a baby we can hold!

Time to get back to painting! I miss all of you guys and wish you were here to shop for baby stuff with me. That includes you too Sherry and Mary! I'm so looking forward to spending time with my family in Austin next weekend, and Josh's family at Christmas. Being pregnant has made me really miss being close to family. Crap, I just made myself all teary eyed. Silly hormones!



3 comments:

  1. Awwww! we miss you, too. You made me teary and I'm not even pregnant! I like Josh's input into this blog post....and it sounds like you guys got a ton done yesterday!
    That co sleeper looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, being the crib mattress expert that I am (har!) I vote for this one - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50152859

    Aren't crib mattresses supposed to be pretty firm and flat so that it doesn't risk smothering? And I can't believe there is a crib mattress on there that actually has springs! that sounds crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't done any research on crib mattresses, but I'm inclined to say, don't buy one at IKEA. I will do some research and let you know soon if my fears are unfounded.
    Also, Is that co-sleeper reversible or is it only for one side of the bed?

    Lisa, I can't wait to see you either...just a few more days.

    ReplyDelete