Sunday, April 24, 2011

39 weeks.

We're only a couple days away from 39 weeks, so I'm just calling it. I think we are all getting impatient, and I keep having to remind myself that 85% of first time babies are at least 8 days late. This last week has been surprisingly tough on Josh and I - since we can't plan when it will happen, but we feel ready and anxious. Both of us really want to be able to plan and control it! I'm having lots of ups and downs, which seem to really depend on the weather - sunny days I feel good and I've weeded the yard and cleaned and nested. Rainy days I get sad and cranky and I sit on the couch like a bump and get teary at dumb stuff and make Josh run to the store for stuff I want. Okay, I only made Josh go to the store once, for Tofurky pizza and an orange soda, and he said he would make the salad to go with it for lunch, but then got distracted, so I did it all, which seems like a fair trade.
Our last midwife appointment went well, I'm still right where I should be, and I've only gained about 30 pounds. They asked us if we would mind if they used these special crayons to draw the baby on my belly, for fun, and also so we could get an idea of what the baby looked like in there. It was pretty much the most "hippie" thing I've ever been a part of, except maybe for the time in college when I went camping with 9 hippie lesbian ladies in the pouring rain because one of them was my good friend and her girlfriend had just broken up with her and she didn't want to go alone with 4 other couples and it turned out as awkward and soaking wet as it sounds like it would be.
The belly drawing turned out to be fun, and it was actually a nice time for us to get to just chat and get to know Lucina (midwife) and Lindsey (her assistant) better. Here is the result.



It was pretty hilarious. Lindsey did the drawing, and I think she was feeling intimidated by Josh looking over her shoulder the whole time, after she found out he was a painter. We had a great time giggling about it all day, and it washed of the next day in the shower. 

As the pain in my groin area has intensified, I have done some research and diagnosed myself with Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) or Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD). I can't really tell what the difference between these two things are, but the general idea is, the pelvic bones have gotten so loose that my ligaments are being strained when I move. And it hurts. A LOT. And seriously, I'm not a wimp about this stuff, I've been putting up with it hurting a bit for a month now, and it has gotten really bad this week. After a busy day yesterday I was miserable all night and this morning. It sounds like it goes away after pregnancy in most cases, but I'm worried about having limited movement after the baby is born so I'm pretty much putting myself on couch rest until the birth. The internet has suggested that I not lift anything, and that I try to move with my knees together when I'm getting up from sitting or rolling over in bed. I've been resting all day and trying it out and it seems to help, and then I carried the laundry basket of clean clothes up the stairs and then I was miserable again, so lesson learned. It will also inhibit my movement in yoga, but I'll talk with the teacher and I'm sure she can suggest some modified stretches for me so I don't have to squat or spread my legs so much. On the upside, I have seen a few places on the internet say that birth can be a little easier when you have this because your bones are so loose. Here's to hoping.

Josh is just about to finish up the baseboards in the basement, which means that tonight we are setting up the bed in the front bedroom down there. We're actually really looking forward to being able to sleep down there in the summer when it's hot. That room still needs the french doors put on, but we priced them yesterday finally and they are $250 for the cheapest ones we found (unpainted and unfinished - more work!), so we may be holding off on that for a minute. Between baby stuff and the basement, I think we are both pretty tired of spending money right now. The basement will have a main door, so whomever is staying down there (mom) will have to make due with that and maybe a curtain for a door for a little while. 

No more contractions the last couple of days, but I'm holding out hope for this week. No Earth Day baby, no Easter baby, maybe a May Day baby (may 1st) or our actual due date for a Cinco de Mayo baby, or Mother's Day (may 8th)?! So many holiday choices!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That drawing is incredible! No wonder you are miserable....
    I know the waiting is so hard. Sounds like Josh is being a sweetie! Here's hoping for a bunch of sunny days!! Love you Lisa and Josh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drawing is pretty cool. I like how the Bloob looks like he's doing a cannonball. Probably that's how it feels, too. :(

    I seriously love that lesbian story and would like to hear more about that sometime. I keep laughing just thinking about it!

    May babies are the best!

    ReplyDelete