Sunday, February 6, 2011

DIY nursing pads and a minor meltdown

I'm marking today as the official start of the third trimester, because today is the first day I felt like a fat, useless, unhappy, gross, weepy, needy, tired pregnant lady all at one time. I don't know if I just got up on the wrong side of the bed, or if it was just time for me to experience this type of day, but I hope that tomorrow is back to normal. It also may have been that I jinxed myself yesterday by saying, repeatedly, how happy I am to be having an easy pregnancy, with great accommodating friends, and no weird touchy judgmental people bugging me.
Anyway, I may elaborate on this at some point, but I really wanted to post pictures of my sewing project for the day. Ali suggested recently that I sew my own washable nursing pads, instead of buying them. I searched online and found an insructional blog, and today, I finally sewed something for myself instead of working on gifts. They're super easy, and I was able to make them out of an old flannel sheet that I was going to donate to Goodwill!

I used a coaster that just happens to be the perfect size as a template. It also has a handy hole in the middle, so I could mark a dot for the center of the circle with my fabric marker.


I cut them out, and then cut out a portion of the circle, using the handy center dot, so the pad will come out slightly contoured. These have 4 layers of flannel, I think I might make a few more slightly thicker ones as well.


I stitched it all together, using some new stitches on my machine that I've never used before, including the overlock stitch for the edges.


I cranked out 12 in under an hour! Super easy project, not to mention free. Plus they're brown and stripey, which is more fun than boring old white. And they look like a little stack of pancakes!


Apparently to wash them, you should throw them in a little lingerie bag, to keep them from getting wrecked. If anyone has an extra one lying around somewhere, save it for me! I don't have one. But maybe I can make one!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those turned out great! That sewing machine has cool stitches. Lisa Hope you have a better day today. Love you.

    ReplyDelete