Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I'm just a stay at home

I was joking today that being a stay at home mom is pretty boring when you don't actually have a baby yet. Then someone said "You're just a stay at home." Ha! It's been nice to not actually have to work, but I'm still figuring out how to fill my days, and how to force myself to REST. I have a bunch of sewing projects going, and two lucky people have very late xmas presents going out in the mail tomorrow! (Sorry, mom, it's not you yet.) I can't wait for you guys to get them, so I can post pictures.

After I made those nursing pads, I was staring at the rest of the flannel sheet set and wondering what I was going to do with it all. It was a queen size set, and Woolrich I noticed, as I was cutting it up. Can I say now that I have Woolrich brand nursing pads? Look how much is left over!


I definitely need to make more pads, but I decided to start making washable flannel baby wipes. Because apparently I have become a complete hippie. You can say it, I know it's true. But I think I'm also just cheap, because have you seen how much disposable diapers and wipes cost?! I looked around online a bit for a tutorial, but just decided to wing it. I made them 4x6, and I think I'll make some slightly larger ones as well. Josh says, good thing the flannel is already brown, har har.


They're just 2 sided flannel, with stitched edges. I thought it would be cute to use some of my machine's fancy stitches, so I started with this one. I wasn't too excited by it.


Then, loop-de-loops! I liked this one, but realized sewing 3 dozen wipes with this stitch was going to take approximately 84 days, which is the same amount of days the baby ticker says I have left until the Bloob comes.


So, back to the overlock stitch. My machine's handbook calls it an overcasting stitch, I need to look it up and see if it means the same thing. I can crank 'em out with this stitch, so that's what I did.


Ali got me all paranoid yesterday about the Bloob coming early, and us not being ready. So I went out today to do some necessity shopping, just in case, but I ended up feeling unsure about where to start and what to buy. I did find two organic cotton crib sheets at Tuesday Morning for $5 each, in just the right colors. And that's it. What things will we just not be able to live without at first? I need an "emergency early baby" list.

Mom says it's time for a new belly picture, but I'm too tired tonight, so it will have to wait til tomorrow. Josh and I are supposed to be having "pizza and movie night", and we had pizza, but now he's brushing Stella, and I'm blogging. We're also listening to the Air Supply station on Pandora, which is always a sing along party.

You're probably wondering how the pregnancy is going, since I have now turned this into a sewing blog. I'm finally at the third trimester, and starting to feel it. I'm heavy, and uncomfortable and get tired pretty easily. Sleeping is just sucking. I wake up and my belly just aches, and rolling over helps, but in another hour I have to wake up and roll over again. Rolling over at this point is no simple movement; I have to lift myself up with my arms, scoot my butt over, move the pillow that goes under my knee, kick Josh in the back, lay back down, get comfortable and then, (insert bad word here), now I have to pee.
Once I'm awake and out of bed though, I'm feeling pretty good. Drinking lots of water, eating lots of food, gaining weight. Bending over is a joke, but I think all of the yoga has really helped with my general mobility and limberness. I'm going twice a week now, and it is the highlight of my week. I love being around all of the other pregnant ladies, partially because most of them are having a much rougher time than me and I can secretly feel really good about my genetic proclivity for baby making, and partially because I don't really KNOW them, and it's fun to hear everyone else's problems without the commitment of having to be a good friend and deal with the problem. Shallow much? BWAHAHA

Enough for now! Tomorrow I'll aim for belly pictures, and basement pictures. Josh is feeling like all of his hard work isn't getting enough blog time. 'Night!

3 comments:

  1. "it's fun to hear everyone else's problems without the commitment of having to be a good friend and deal with the problem" - AMEN! I love this. :)

    Maybe the good thing about trying those different stitches is that you'll be able to test how they hold up, compared to each other, since they'll all be getting about the same, regular use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I love the loop de loop stitches! Too bad they take forever. Loved the comment about your family's baby making proclivity. WORD! :)

    That's crazy that you are cutting up Woolrich sheets! I love Woolrich stuff! I've got a Woolrich blanket that I bought in 2007 and it is my very favorite blanket ever! Good thing it's for the bloob :) Josh's joke about them all being brown already IS pretty funny! Ha!

    I'm no help with the emergency baby supplies, but I'm sure your sister and your niece can fill you in!

    Much love!

    Char

    ReplyDelete