Thursday, February 17, 2011

Rollercoaster

I miss rollercoasters, not that I've had any crazy opportunities to ride one in the last 7 months. And beer, I miss beer. I've decided the first beer I'm having after the Bloob is going to be a Miller High Life in a glass bottle. If someone could make sure we have some at the birthing center, I'd appreciate it. Maybe it can be a baby shower gift, and I'll just stash it away until then. It's going to be so cold and it will just go down like delicious beery water, I can imagine it so clearly….

This rollercoaster of pregnancy though, I'm not so sure I'll miss it when it's over. The pure joy I feel about the Bloob, the feeling of love and protectiveness that makes me get teary, I hope that continues after the birth. The sudden tiredness, the full belly, the pressure on my stomach and lungs that makes it hard to breathe, those thing I'll be happy to see go away.

I spent yesterday feeling too tired to do much, although I did make brownies, which I can't eat because they give me THE WORST HEARTBURN KNOWN TO MAN. By the time Josh finally got home, I was on the couch and started crying when he walked in. There is so much to do and I feel so useless! I didn't even have the motivation to sew. He got me out of the house and we went to Ikea, where we got a dresser, and to my surprise, a crib. It wasn't in the plan, but it just happened, and I think Josh is feeling a big sense of relief that we got it, and now it is off his mental list. We ate dinner at Ikea, which is a secret pleasure of mine, and I kind of can't believe how much it cheered me up. It was only $9 for us both to have penne pasta with sauce, french fries, a salad, and drinks.

So today, I got up and set to work putting together the crib. I felt like it was something I could accomplish, and I was looking forward to. It went together pretty easily, and we both really like it. I'm glad we ended up choosing white, it look so summery and fresh. It has been thoroughly sniffed, and t is now Richard and Stella approved. I couldn't help thinking when I was putting it together that I felt like I was building a little cage. I was thinking that you have this long awaited sweet little baby that you bring home and promptly put behind bars, with no chance of escape. But maybe I need to think of it as a device to keep Richard and Stella OUT!


I was seriously tired after that, but I started putting the dresser together, after a break where I ate soup and watched an episode of Pushing Daisies. I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to keep going, but I got to this point, and then I couldn't go any further.


At some point during this time, Stella seems to have eaten the little stuffed moose we got her from the "as-is" section at Ikea for 20 cents. She's pretty good about just chewing on them for awhile, until the stuffing starts to come out, and then we take it away. I gave it to her when I started, to keep her busy, and then when I stopped to take a break it was gone. It was only about the size of a golf ball, and I can't find it anywhere, so I'm assuming at some point she just gulped it down. 
I took a nap for a bit and then finished putting the dresser together, which felt a bit like finishing a triathlon. I seriously need to learn how to pace myself, or figure out what my limits are right now.


Hopefully I'll sleep really well tonight, even if it's just from overexertion! Tomorrow I work in the morning, and Josh has the day off to work on the basement. Hopefully it's nice out and he can fix up the window wells without them being a total mud pit.

At some point today, the Bloob was all over on the right side of my belly, and when I looked down, my belly was lopsided. It made me laugh. And someone at Josh's work told him we are having a girl, and that she is never wrong. So, now I guess we're having a girl. I have to admit, not finding out the sex has been the most fun of this whole experience, and I'm glad we decided not to know. Oh, I ordered the baby shower invitations! They are being printed and will be here in about 12 days, so then I'll mail them out to you guys. It's April 2nd at 6pm. Michelle suggested that we send them to people far away that we know won't be able to come, but so they will be able to send gifts. I didn't order a ton of invites, should we do that? I don't feel like we need a ridiculous amount of stuff, so I don't know if it's weird to do that. I don't want anyone to feel left out that they didn't get an invite though, even if they can't come. Where is Emily Post when you need her?

2 comments:

  1. Josh is like my superhero in this story! Way to go Josh!!!! How did you know so early in the marriage to take a depressed/crying woman shopping? And out to dinner! That always makes me feel better.
    Lisa, Is the crib called Sniglar? If so Ikea has a recall and they will give you longer bolts.
    The baby's room is really coming together. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to introduce Josh's co-worker to the gas station man!

    ReplyDelete